1.28.2012

Mountain Mural

Yep, the baby isn't even here yet and I've already become that kind of blogger... so here it is. My how-to on our nursery mountain mural. 

I spent an inexcusable amount of time looking at Etsy for nursery art ideas, but David didn't love any of the trees I thought might work and I wasn't very inspired by anything, so we decided to hang some children's book art and call it good. But then I got the visual of a mountain silhouette and a tree line. The mountain, of course, had to be Bachelor, the peak I grew up with in Bend. I used the picture from the Through Eyes Like Mine book cover as a guide.

I started with a sketch, just two lines: the mountain line and the tree line. Then, I used the same paint we have on several of our living room walls (Behr's Sandstone Cliffs) for the first coat. Of course, it needed two coats, but even this didn't take too long. I just had to be careful along the edges.

The next day, I used the grey that's below our bar (Behr's Granite Boulder) for the tree part. Again, it needed two coats.

I had to decide, snow or no snow, but since we had our trim color (Behr's Pure White semi-gloss) handy I used it for the mountain top. Again, two coats.

Overall, it took about six hours and I'm convinced anyone who has the time and patience can paint a mural like this.

11 comments:

  1. Wrong. Not everyone with time and patience can paint a mural like this. The visual has been on your radar for most of your life and was the cover of your book. Baby will be sleeping under a giant she has not met yet. When she does it will be special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I don't think I've ever seen a baby's room mural like this. So original and meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Chet. I can't wait to take her up Century Drive to meet the peak she will feel she already knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jordan. I hope as the room comes together I still like it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you do this free hand or did you tape it off? Looks awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a photo as a guide and sketched in pencil first. Then I just added the layers of paint. No tape.

      Delete