11.02.2010

My Decision to Self-Publish and Why I'm Sticking With It

After finishing my MFA I had a pretty solid manuscript in hand. It felt done. It felt different and real and I didn't cringe (too much) as I read over the draft months later. So I shopped it, landed an agent and thought, there it is! My book, written, sitting with an agent and she will make publishing happen!

Of course things didn't quite work out that way. My agent was great. She got the book to editors at big houses who read it and although they thought the book was beautifully written, it was a little too quiet or not quite what they were looking for.

That's okay. I didn't write it for any of them anyway! I wrote it for me, but I also wanted Oprah to pick my book for her show and now she's almost done with her show and won't be able to promote it.

Bummer.

But from what I hear, the publishing world is all sort of wacky turvy right now. E-books and e-readers and Snookie getting a book deal. Snookie. And it's so easy to self-publish. And so affordable. I can do it on my own.

Except then I have to do it all on my own.

So, I read and reread my book. I edited, revised, proof-read, read again, reread, reread and still, STILL there were mistakes. I made more changes. I printed proof copies. I shared it with my circle of talented friends who write and read. I heard from them and I made more changes, read, reread, revised, proof-read, added, deleted read again and again and again and again.

I designed a cover. I thought I liked it. I didn't. I changed it. I liked it again.

I'm waiting on what I hope will be the last proof copy. I'm really excited. I'm ready to send it out into the world. I hope to move 10,000 units. That's not so much. Wait, that's a ton.  

I hope you might want to read it.  

It's coming.  It's coming soon. 

Through Eyes Like Mine.  A book.  My book.  By Noriko Nakada.

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome you're self-publishing. Your fans would rather get our hands on it now than wait for the perfect agent to come to their senses about its inevitable brilliance. I can't wait to read your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susanna! We should collaborate on something some time... the real housewives of Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hold it in my hands and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea! Can't wait to read it either. AND... if you want one more pair of eyes on it, I love finding grammatical errors. Found one on the front page of NYT the other day. Torture. It's almost a disease.
    Anyway, I have also read your blog several times, and I have never commented. But I finally must now because I CANNOT believe LIDNSAY LOHAN was the catalyst to our long overdue introduction. I mean, Parent Trap was good, but NOT THAT GOOD!

    Geesh.
    hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more reason to thank the universe for Lindsey Lohan... Thanks for the offer to read. If I find one more grammatical error in the book, I mean seriously.

    ReplyDelete