12.30.2019

Publishing Round-Up for 2019

The year is coming to a close, and it has been a busy one. With the publication of I Tried completing the Through Eyes Like Mine Trilogy, I'm ready to shift my focus to other writing projects. This is where my words found homes over the past year:

On the other end of our UTLA strike, Cultural Weekly published "Lessons from the Picket Lines" about my experience as a teacher and mother during our work stoppage and demand for the schools our communities deserve.

I attended AWP this winter. I'd avoided this conference for writers and writing programs ever since my MFA, but I wrote about my first AWP experience in "Attending the AWP You Want to Create" for Breathe and Push at Women Who Submit.

I was honored to have my essay, "Threatened Abortion" selected for the Santa Fe Writers Project's Abortion Ban Special Issue. I encourage you to check out this essay, but also the other important stories in this issue. This essay was first published for Breathe and Push at Women Who Submit.

My first fiction found it's way into the world this year. These two shorts from Rice Paper Superheroes appeared in *82 Review and What Are Birds journal respectively: "Andy's Alliance" "A Family Photo"

Other essays published this year were part of the Breathe and Push column for Women Who Submit:

"Tsuru for Solidarity" describes the activism occurring in the Japanese American community this year to protest family separation and injustice in camps at the border.

"Stay Cool and Keep Writing" provides resources for writers in resistance during another difficult summer of injustice.

"When Just Breathing is Enough" is about breathing during stressful times.

"Taking Attendance" captures a Women Who Submit workshop with Rocio Carlos and Rachel McLeod.

"5 Ways for Writers to Celebrate" finished off the year for Breathe and Push.

*edited for accuracy*

Folks, I left a couple of essays off! Two more essays for Breathe and Push made their way into the world for Women Who Submit. Jeesh. How could I forget writing about SAD and the end of the strike?

"Writing Through the Storm" captures the post-strike exhaustion teachers in LA felt this past winter.

"Getting Through Winter" describes my own struggles with seasonal affective disorder.


Despite lots of poetry submissions, no poetry publications this year :(, but there's always 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment